Disclaimer: The nail polishes were provided for review.Carpe Noctem Cosmetics is a lovely custom indie nail polish/eye shadow store based in Michigan, USA. The name of the shop is latin for "seize the night". The shop is run by own and creator Emily, who generously sent me a mini set of her upcoming Halloween/Samhain Collection to review and swatch.
The collection consists of eight different polishs: three layering glitter, two metallic duochrome, two glitters, and one jelly. The eight polishes are divided into two themes: Halloween and Samhain.
I don't know about you guys, but before chatting with Emily about her collection, I have never heard of Samhain! But after a few minutes on Wikipedia, I can tell you all about it! :p
Once widely celebrated in Ireland and Scotland, "Samhain" is a Gaelic festival that starts on the sunset of October 31st and ends at the sunset of November 1st. The festival marks the end of the harvest season and the beginning of winter. Bonfires are lit and livestock are slaughtered. The people would host feasts and set empty places at the table inviting their deceased family members to join them. Various rituals called divinations that give insight into the future and unanswered questions are performed during Samhain as well. The Samhain Collection include the following colors:
- "A Place at the Table": Matte red squares, red hexagon, metallic red hearts, black bars, and black hexagons suspended in a clear base.
- "Reflection in Flames": Holographic orange and black hexagon with metallic burnt orange and black hexagon in clear base.
- "Reflect": Sheer magenta/violet/blue/teal color shifter.
- "Divination": Gold bronze/copper/pink color shifter.
Heavily influenced by the traditions of Samhain, Halloween today is a festival filled with yummy candy, elaborate costumes, and spine-chilling scares. Common traditions include pumpkin carving, trick-or-treating, visiting haunted houses, and dressing up as your favorite super hero. The Halloween Collection include the following colors:
- "This is Halloween": Neon orange crelly (cream/jelly hybrid) with neon black hexagon.
- "Candy Corn": Orange, white, and yellow glitters in clear base.
- "Fright Night" Holographic red glitter in holographic grey mica base.
- "The Blob": Purple hexagon, lavender squares and matte dots, magenta and silver holographic hexagon, and large violet holographic dots suspended in magenta jelly base.
Are you excited yet? I will start posting swatches and reviews starting next Tuesday, feel free to visit Carpe Noctem's Facebook page to ogle at some gorgeous polishes!