Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Kat Von D Chrysalis Eyeshadow Palette: Review and Swatches

Disclaimer: Product featured was provided for review.
If you love a good eyeshadow palette then you are going to go gaga over the Chrysalis Eyeshadow Palette from Kat Von D. With three neutral base colors and nine "transformative accent hues", this palette has a cool tone grey/purple/blue color scheme. All twelve shadows feature Kat Von D's triple-milled, "Power Last" formulation so each is rich, pigmented, and long lasting. To see some more photos and swatches, click.......
The Chrysalis Eyeshadow Palette is housed in a sturdy cardboard compact with a large rectangular mirror on the underside of the lid. The front of the palette features a super badass looking butterfly and on the back the shadow names are indicated for easy reference.
I feel like ever since Urban Decay released its Naked 2 Palette, which has a sleek metal packaging, I've sort of steered away from cardboard palettes. Because inevitably, the sides and fronts of cardboard palettes will get dented and worn out. So I kind of wish all brands started making palettes with plastic (the fancy type, of course) or metal packagings.
Formulation & Colors:
The palette is divided into three sections, each with a slightly different color scheme.
The Purples:
1. Lifelike: This one is a super creamy and pigmented matte cream.
2. Hybrid Moments: Matte dark purple almost leaning a bit brown. Decent pigmentation and texture.
3. Mezzanine: Metallic purple with a slight sparkle. The formulation is rich but there are some minor fall-outs.
4. Transition: This one is a super buttery, super opaque metallic mauve.
Hybrid Moment, Mezzanine, Transition, Lifelike
The Grays:
1. Lunar Lights: Gorgeous pale silver with a slightly taupe-y undertone. This one is opaque in just one swipe. The texture is also incredibly soft and creamy.
2. Glasswing: Matte light brown with a soft and smooth formulation, very impressive for a matte.
3. Melancholia: Crazy intense taupy silver. One swipe will provide full coverage.
4. Black Milk: Soft and buttery matte gray.
Glasswing, Melancholia, Black Milk, Lunar Lights
The Blues:
1. Lucid: Cool tone matte pink packed with whitish silver sparkles. This one is a bit sheer but you do get a lot of sparkles.
2. Graphic Nature: Dark charcoal with a slight blue sheen. Good pigmentation and smooth texture.
3. Entombed: Metallic blue with a smooth formulation but applies slightly sheer.
4. Tornay: Matte black. This one feels a bit dry but the pigmentation is definitely buildable.
Graphic Nature, Entombed, Tornay, Lucid
Top: Using the purple shadows
Bottom: Using the blue shadows
Liquid Liner: Kat Von D Ink Liner (reviewed here)
If you a fan of the color scheme of the palette, then this one is worth considering. For a high end twelve shadow palette the $58 CAD price tag is quite reasonable and in terms of formulation, I'd say 75% of the colors are superb and the other 25% is decent. There are no real duds so all in all, two thumbs up!

Kat Von D is available online and in stores at Sephora.
© 2013-2024 The Happy Sloths | Artwork by Jasmine Li